Custodian I Pool
2023 - 2024 School Year
Pay Grade: 801
Salary Range: $30,744 - $43,315
Duty Days: 244 days
This position may include night shift from 3:30pm - 12:00am
Cleans and maintains District facilities using routine procedures to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency of building operations and grounds.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Cleans all building facilities by sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, waxing, buffing, and stripping floors, walls, windows, partitions, and fixtures.
- Empties trash cans, arranges chairs and desks, dusts, and cleans chalkboards in classrooms and offices.
- Keeps school building and grounds, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and play areas, neat and clean.
- Complies with local laws and procedures for storage and disposal of trash.
Maintenance & Repairs
- Assists with lunchroom set up, including arranging tables and chairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance to ensure the comfort, health, and safety of students and staff; makes minor building repairs as needed and reports major repair needs to Head Custodian.
- Moves furniture or equipment within building as directed by Principal.
- Assists in setting up facilities for special events.
- Keep outside area neat using lawn mower, edger, rake, and broom/blower.
- Keep tools and equipment clean; uses tools, equipment, and cleaning materials in a safe and efficient manner.
- Assists with opening and closing building each school day checking to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during hours of building occupancy. Follows established procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities.
- Follows established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, and climbing. Operates tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Corrects unsafe conditions in work area and promptly reports any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
Personal Work Relationships
- All Fort Worth ISD employees must maintain a commitment to the District’s mission, vision, and strategic goals.
- Exhibits high professionalism, standards of conduct and work ethic.
- Demonstrates high quality customer service; builds rapport/relationship with the consumer.
- Demonstrates cultural competence in interactions with others; is respectful of co-workers; communicates and performs as a team player; promotes teamwork; responds and acts appropriately in confrontational situations.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs all job-related duties as assigned and in accordance with Board rules, policies and regulations. All employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, materials, and methods of custodial work.
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in minor maintenance of buildings and equipment.
- Knowledge of flag courtesy and care.
- Ability to recognize maintenance needs and initiate appropriate action.
- Ability to access computer email.
- Ability to use and care for operations equipment.
- Ability to make minor repairs to facilities and equipment.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the performance of duties.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Physical & Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Tools/Equipment Used: Buffer, stripper, wet and dry vacuum cleaner, electric drill, hand tools, shampooer, lawn mower, edger, and weed eater.
- Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent sitting, kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting.
- Motion: Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching, and overhead reaching.
- Lifting: Heavy lifting and carrying (45 pounds and over) on a daily basis.
- Environment: Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, dust, exposure to blood or body fluids, toxic chemicals and materials; regularly work irregular hours and/or prolonged hours.
- Attendance: Regular and punctual attendance at the worksite is required for this position.
- Mental Demands: Maintains emotional control under stress; works with frequent interruptions.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Accredited High School diploma, GED, or Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency preferred;
- Certification/License: None.
- Cleaning experience is preferred.
This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.