Dickies Arena Pastry Chef
Trail Drive Management Corporation – Dickies Arena of Fort Worth, TX
Dickies Arena is a 14,000 seat, multipurpose venue located adjacent to the Will Rogers Memorial Center campus in Fort Worth, Texas. The arena is owned by the City of Fort Worth and managed by the not-for-profit operating entity, Trail Drive Management Corp (TDMC). The state-of-the-art arena, opened November 2019, will host concerts, sporting events and family entertainment, and will be the new home to Fort Worth Stock Show rodeo performances and home to the Panther City Lacrosse Club.
Reports to: Executive Chef
Pastry Chef: General supervision over bakery full time and part time team members. Duties include but not limited too; following recipes to create pastries, cookies, and other baked goods, developing new and unique recipes to feature on the menu and keeping stock of the kitchen's inventory.
Job Description :
The Pastry Chef will oversee all dessert production in the respective areas of Concessions, Suites, Clubs/ Catering, along with menu development & event-based planning for all other Food & Beverage outlets. The Pastry Chef will work closely with the Culinary Team and FOH counterparts to ensure quality selections are available on an event-by-event basis with consideration of the anticipated guest demographic. They are also responsible for making sure food quality and sanitation are maintained to the highest of standards. They will assist in the establishment and achievement of financial targets including, but not limited to labor and food cost. The Pastry Chef will need to have a well-rounded baking background, but still be able to assist in all F&B outlets if needed.
Essential Duties (Include, but are not limited to the following):
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Partner with the Dickies Arena Food and Beverage department leadership team to ensure a successful arena F&B operation
- Assist with the establishment and enforcement of Dickies Arena policies
- Work closely with other team members and other departments to ensure department specific procedures, tasks and goals are met, consistent and effective communication occurs, efficient operational performance and a positive reputation of venue within the market/ industry is maintained
- Support the concept development and overall operating plan establishment for all food and beverage areas as it pertains to dessert options and pastry needs
- Drive the development of unique and signature dessert menus, recipes, special features, etc. for the venue with consideration to seasonal opportunities and industry trends
- Assist in the hiring, training, scheduling and daily oversight and mentorship of bakery team members
- Ensure all bakery team members have the tools necessary to complete their jobs
- Ensure consistent execution of all recipes, training, and accountability of the culinary team
- Operate and manage the pastry section of a kitchen, working together with the other chefs
- Decorate and present pastries and baked goods in a tasteful and beautiful way
- Monitor and order ingredients, supplies and equipment through the Executive Chef
- Meet with customers to discuss custom-made desserts or baked goods for special occasions
- Ensure the bakery section of the kitchen adheres to health and safety regulations, conduct daily walkthroughs to assess equipment, cleanliness, etc…
- Monitor, inspect and assess baked goods throughout the venue daily – establish and maintain proper par levels/ inventory levels are being met in accordance with event calendar
- Conduct and oversee the inventory management aspects of the pastry kitchen/ bakery department
- Responsible for ensuring exceptional and consistent food quality, presentation, and production
- Follow and enforce policies associated with the safe service of all alcoholic beverages
- Engage with venue guests, as well as team members to ensure exceptional hospitality is always received
- Build and maintain strong relationships with venue staff, guests, subcontractors, etc.
- Responsible for enforcing, executing, and maintaining all safety, security, and sanitation standards throughout the venue
- Regularly obtain feedback from guests to improve operations.
- Thoroughly and accurately use all selected systems (Purchasing, Eatec, Work Force Management and more)
- Other responsibilities and tasks as deemed appropriate by the Food and Beverage and Dickies Arena Leadership Team
INTELLECTUAL/SOCIAL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Degree or training in Culinary Arts, Hospitality or related field, or culinary certificate preferred
- 2+ years of culinary baking leadership experience with 5+ years of baking experience preferred
- Previous experience in high volume, complex food service operations; sports and/ or entertainment venue strongly preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of baking, pastry, and chocolate work, with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Demonstrate ability to complete projects in a reliable, productive, and expedient manner while adhering to strict deadlines
- Keyboarding skills and computer proficiency with software knowledge including MS Office
- Experience with computerized work force management software strongly preferred
- Experience with inventory and order management software strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to problem solve and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Able to communicate effectively with management team, guests, and team members
- Superior internal and external customer service experience
- Must be able to work extended shifts of 10 hours or more as business dictates
- Must be flexible with schedule and able to work different shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to work in fluctuating temperatures
- English reading, writing, comprehension, math, and computer skills required
- Ability to taste and evaluate food and beverage products
- Must be able to reach, lift, stoop, bend and perform extensive standing and walking (including stairs) throughout shift
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to multi-task under time limits and with moderate to high pressure situations. Position requires constant attention to details and accuracy of specified standards including following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. This position also requires frequent use of interpersonal skills with internal and external clients. Employee will frequently communicate via radio and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. This position requires employee to frequently work both independently or as part of a team. Position also requires being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, by being able to openly communicate with clients.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee will frequently operate a computer and other office devices such as calculators, telephones, copy machines, faxes and printers. Employee will constantly move about inside and outside various areas of the facility before/during/after events to interact with internal/external clients and supervise the work of employees during events. Employee must constantly communicate via telephone, radio, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. Employee may occasionally be required due to business demands and event operations to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. As business, maintenance, operations, or emergency situations require, employee may sporadically assist in lift/move 100 lbs. or more.
- The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors but do require frequent movement in and out of controlled temperature units such as refrigerators and/or freezers. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, with the exception of event days, where the sound levels may be higher than moderate. Employee will be occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, year-round. Employee will be exposed to and working in extreme temperatures when utilizing various pieces of equipment.